MAMLE’s Annual Conference
Making Middle School Memorable
Engage, Excite, Empower
October 22-23, 2015
Point Lookout Resort and Conference Center
Who Will Engage, Excite, & Empower Conference Attendees!
Thursday — Tom Burton
Magic and Motivation in the Middle
Tom, Associate Superintendent of Princeton City Schools in Ohio, is an enthusiastic advocate for the young adolescent. A past president of the Ohio Middle Level Association and former middle school principal, he is well versed in what makes 10-15 years tick and how to reach them in meaningful ways in school. Tom possesses an energetic speaking style that immediately engages his listeners.
Tom has received numerous accolades including: NASSP/MetLife Ohio Middle School Principal of the Year, the Distinguished Young Alumni Award from Slippery Rock University, Ohio Middle Level Association’s Ohio Educator of the Year and has been inducted in both the Cleveland Heights High School Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame and John Carroll University Athletic Hall of Fame.
Friday — Phillip Hoose
If Adults Wouldn’t Do It, We Would: Stories of Youth Empowerment
Phil is the award-winning author of Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice. This book recounts the true story of Claudette Colvin who refused to give her seat up on a bus and then courageously faced monumental criticism from a variety of sources. You can listen to Claudette and Phillip on NPR’s Radio Diaries.
Phil and his book Claudette Colvin have been honored with numerous awards:
- National Book Award
- Newbery Honor Book
- Robert F. Sibert Award honor
- ALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction Finalist
- Jane Addams Children’s Book Award, Honor
- ALA Best Book for Young Adults
His most recent book is The Boys Who Challenged Hitler: Knud Pedersen and the Churchill Club.
Plus, 30 + concurrent sessions led by Maine’s creative and talented middle level educators. Here’s just a sample of our offerings:
• Getting Started with Google Classroom
• Practical Strategies For Collecting Evidence Towards Standards
• Using Meaningful Feedback to Foster a Growth Mindset
• Teaching MCL: Beyond the Theory
• Open Space Technology & Ed Camp
• What Does Your Dash Stand for? – Creating a Positive School Climate and Culture
• Should You Paint Before You Write or Write Before You Paint?
• Spotlight on Integrated Curriculum
• Teaching the Verb: Meeting Standards through Project-Based Teaching
• The Power of Stories
• Teaming 101: Ignite Your Team’s Fire and Keep It Burning